Monday, December 9, 2013

Blue Christmas

Psalms 43:3-5
Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight.  I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.

Why, my soul, are you downcast?  Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.


Blue Christmas is a very real phenomenon!  Although there may be many who look forward with gleeful anticipation to this season, there are still others, who through loss of loved ones, financial strain, or health issues; or those who find their families in sudden crisis, find this time of year a very lonely and painful time.

The reality is, that although the light of God is in the World, and although you yourself have accepted the truth, that does not exclude you from experiencing both the ups and the downs of real life.

In today's text, King David a man after God's own heart is experiencing such a time of discouragement and despair.  But thankfully, he knows the answer to his dilemma! To continue to praise the name of the Lord! The truth is, when we make the conscious decision to open our mouths to give God praise, despite our circumstance, despite our fickle emotions, the enemy who has come to oppress us with fear, doubt, depression and self-pity cannot remain, but must FLEE.  If you dare open your mouth and bless God with the fruit of your lips, in the midst of it; you will see a shift in your countenance, and feel a lift in your spirit. The gray fog and haze will quickly pass away, and the Peace of God, which passes all understanding, and the joy of the Lord, which is your strength, will be your new and constant companions!

To God Be The Glory
The weeks of Advent remind us to set aside some time during the holiday season to reflect on our faith. The Bible readings we will read echo the Advent themes of waiting, preparation, hope, and the coming of the promised Messiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment